Tuesday, 28 January 2014

Representative Democracy

Reaching out for communication and representation I got another canned email response from my Senator. It is messages like these that make me lose faith in representative democracy. 

Essentially what these messages say is that she is in full support of whatever opinion it is that I have about the budget, military action, appropriations bill etc. If I am for it or against it she'll vote whichever way pleases her (ultimately, it seems, those who fund her campaigns). 

In the face of such ridiculousness and with the momentum and importance of the occupy movements I hope we are redefining democracy. We might be able to have a true democracy in these days of mass communication. Why not have the people vote directly on everything? Every little aspect of the country is important to someone and they can have their say in a forum. 

I think the current style of democracy is too 17th century, we've missed the spirit of it as it should evolve with the times and the attitudes of the people. 

For You O Democracy

by Walt Whitman
Come, I will make the continent indissoluble,
I will make the most splendid race the sun ever shone upon,
I will make divine magnetic lands,
                   With the love of comrades,
                      With the life-long love of comrades.

I will plant companionship thick as trees along all the rivers of America, and along the shores of the great lakes, and all over the prairies,
I will make inseparable cities with their arms about each other's necks,
                   By the love of comrades,
                      By the manly love of comrades.

For you these from me, O Democracy, to serve you ma femme!
For you, for you I am trilling these songs.
Post a Comment